Thursday, August 9, 2012

Going to Taiwan in 19 Hours!


Sister Mack
Provo MTC
August 6, 2012

NIMEN HAO!!!!!!!!!

So . . . I am leaving the MTC tomorrow at 5 AM to head out for Taiwan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHENME DONGXI??!?!?!! I don't think it has quite completely hit me yet, but I am very happy about it. Three of our Elders actually leave today because they are going to Australia. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to them, but I wrote everyone in our district a little note to read on the plane, and I shared some verses from Alma 17 with them. The first one I wanted them to read was Alma 17:13 which talks about when Alma and the sons of Mosiah are separating to go preach the gospel in different areas. I feel like it is so perfect for the situation in which I currently find myself because it will be hard to say goodbye to them, they have been my closest friends and very much like a family to me these past 12 weeks. At the same time I am so excited for all of us. I know that we are in God's hands, that He is with us in this work, and that He has an important job for each of us to do in our specific areas. The other scripture I wanted to share with them is Alma 17:2-3. I feel so strongly that as all of us throw ourselves into this work and press forward faithfully and obediently, we will emerge at the end of the journey triumphant because we know we gave it everything, and that the Lord accepts and consecrates our efforts. How much more joy will we feel when we are reunited at the end and we know that we did this great work with all our heart, might, mind, and strength. It will be a really sweet reunion I am sure. I felt the spirit very strongly as I read these verses, and I know they can be true for our district.

Our teachers gave us our full names on Saturday. My name is Ke Yong Mei. There are two radicals in my last name, Ke. One means tree and the other means river. I guess it makes sense with this whole faux hippy vibe I've tried to emulate my whole life. Everyone in our district has the middle name Yong. It comes from the word "yongyuan" which means eternal, forever, loyal to one's dying day!! Isn't that sweet? It's because our district is so tightly knit together in unity and love (like it talks about in Mosiah 18) and we certainly have become a little family, and now we are further bound by our Chinese names. My first name, Mei, comes from the word that means rose. I don't know exactly why my teachers picked that for me but I love it so much. I wish I could write it in characters on here but alas, I do not know how to do that on a keyboard.

Ok ok just one more thing. I have to tell you about the baptism we had on Saturday!!!! No it wasn't an actual baptism because as you may remember, the sister who prepared herself for baptism is actually our teacher acting as an investigator . . . but the Spirit was very strong there. We pretty much had everything except the actual baptism.  So there was a talk on baptism, a talk on the Holy Ghost, a musical number, prayers, etc. It was really cool. There were a couple of awkward moments, but it was a very sweet experience for me because I got to give the talk on baptism. I don't have it with me now but I'll just tell you the basis of it. My heart was so full of love for this sister, which sounds crazy because as I said, she’s really our teacher.  But I think because we took the role play seriously, Heavenly Father blessed us to have real results, real growth, and true feelings. I shared a verse from Mosiah 18 (one of my all-time favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon) that talks about how part of our baptismal covenant involves us as followers of Christ knitting our hearts together in unity and love. I told her that we are all a big family, that we all support her in her decision, and that we will truly feel God's love as we follow Christ together (or something along those lines). Earlier that day Jin JieMei (my awesome companion) shared a scripture with me in D&C 15:6. I felt impressed to share it at the xilihui (baptismal service), so I did. It talks about bringing others to Christ, and that we will all be able to rest together in the presence of God. I asked our investigator to read it because my D&C is in characters, then I just testified to her from my heart that this has truly been our joy, to help her come to know Christ (though she definitely taught us more than we taught her).  I told her that I am so so happy that we will be together in the next life because she is our dear jiejie (older sister) and truly a special friend. I also told her that she would be a light to her family, that through her powerful faith and example, she could help them come closer to our Heavenly Father and to our Savior. I was so full of love in that moment, and it made me so excited to get to Taiwan.

This baptism was the perfect way to kind of end my time here at the MTC. Every day I am more and more sure that this calling is divine, that I was foreordained to serve in Taiwan and that there are people God has prepared for me to teach. I just have to give it my all and He will entrust me with His precious children. I know I will talk to so many people who won't be interested, but I think that part of my job is even to prepare those people for other missionaries. I am so sure that God has a plan for each of His children. I am so grateful for the plan of salvation, God's plan of happiness. I know that as I am courageous and look at my challenges as opportunities, I will be better prepared. It's so crazy for me to think that the next time I'll be at church I will be in a Chinese ward....!!!!!! IT’S SO MARVELOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok ONE more thing: Last night one of the elders gave me a blessing to help me have comfort and strength as I head out into the field. It was a very beautiful and sweet experience. I feel so strengthened and ready to just dive in. I don't speak much Chinese, I'm still not an amazing teacher, but I love God, I love Jesus Christ, and I love the people of Taiwan. I am full of confidence and hope that as I give my all, Heavenly Father will give me guidance and direction. He will help me press on and He will guide me to those people whom He has prepared to hear and receive this glorious gospel. I testify that it is glorious indeed, that it has changed my life, and each day continues to fill me with deeper joy, peace, and hope. I know this Church is true. I know God loves us.

I love you all so much!!!
Love love love
Ke JieMei



1 comment: