Saturday, October 6, 2012

THERE CAN BE MIRACLES WHEN YOU BELIEVE! September 9. 2012



Dajia hao! Another miraculous week has come and gone on la isla formosa!!!! (old Portuguese name for Taiwan. Google it.)

There can be miracles when you BELIEVE (Prince of Egypt!!!!!). This is such a true statement. This month my mission president wants us to study the Christlike attribute of faith. In his email to the missionaries he said, " Remember, faith is a decision, a desire or hope to believe. Make that decision and exercise and strengthen your faith." When we choose to have faith instead of doubting and being full of fear, when we choose to believe in the power of an almighty God, we can see that His miracles are all around us!!

Lately my companion and I have been working really hard to find new investigators and to talk to more people. Last week we had a really long day, a couple of no-shows to appointments, and no one wanted to talk to us. It was blazingly hot, and the sun was beating down on us all day, so we were sweating like crazy. In the evening we biked over to a less active lady's house hoping to surprise her with a little faith-building lesson. We parked our bikes and walked up to where she supposedly lived. The bottom part was a restaurant and we were kind of looking around not knowing what to do next. I think my companion called the phone number we had for her, but no one answered. Suddenly this other girl came up and started talking to us. She knew the person who we were trying to find and said she wasn't around. We started talking and shared a little bit of our message with this other woman, then invited her to come to English. She was very friendly and a little blunt, which is pretty unusual for most Taiwanese people.

So, this girl we met when looking for someone else showed up to English on Wednesday and was willing to meet with us after class. My companion went to teach another lesson, so I taught her by myself. We didn't want to keep her long because she had already been in English class for an hour and a half.  I just wanted to teach her about how we are all God's children, and that He loves us so much, and that we can communicate with Him through prayer. It was really simple.  The woman offered a prayer, then my companion came back and joined us. All of the sudden, this woman started to open up to us. She's had some challenging circumstances in her life that have led her to a point of really low self worth. She told us about some of her experiences and started to cry because they were so painful to her. Then she told us she didn't know what real love was. My heart was so full for her. We promised her that as she continued to study the gospel, she would feel of God's love for her, His true, pure, real love. I was so struck by how much she needs the message we have.

We met with this woman 4 times this last week, and she came to Church on Sunday. She is very open to learning but has a mind of her own and uses it to decide if she wants to accept the things we teach her or to act on the invitations we give her. She's an incredible person, and I love her so much!!! She truly is a miracle. At church she shared her testimony in Relief Society, saying that while listening to one of the testimonies in sacrament meeting, she felt like she got an answer to her prayers. She also keeps a gratitude journal (an assignment from one of the other missionaries who taught her English class). Her English is far from perfect, but the entries are so sincere, and she always lets us read them. She often mentions my companion and me as people she is grateful for. Yesterday she wrote that she is grateful for our friendship and that it fills her heart with so much happiness!!! I am so amazed at the transformations I get to see firsthand when the truths of the gospel work in other people. It strengthens my faith in my purpose as a missionary, and especially my faith that God is with me in this work. This woman's story is so deep and rich, and I have barely known her a week. As Ammon says in Alma 26, "I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.”

 I love being a missionary. I love it so so much. I'm grateful for the reminders I receive everyday that it's not me who helps people to believe the message of the restored gospel, or to know that God loves them—they believe and know through the power of the Holy Ghost. I'm so grateful that I have this chance to be a minister of the joy and peace the gospel brings to all kinds of people of different ages, backgrounds, personalities, and beliefs. I really believe that every person can be blessed by the teachings of Christ when they seek to understand and live them.

Thank you for your sacrifices, for your prayers, for being the incredible people you all are. I am who I am because of your influence, love, friendship, and example in my life. Keep letting your light shine!!!

This week I was reading in Alma 24 and 25 and was so moved by the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis who chose to "[bury] their weapons of peace, or they buried the weapons of war, for peace." I think I still carry a lot of weapons of war with me even though I tried to leave them at the MTC. I want to invite all of you to read these chapters and think about the things that are holding you back from completely loving other people, from feeling God's presence in your life, and just get rid of them!!! I know God gives us a strength beyond our own as we do so, and our lives can be filled with great peace.

I love you all so much!! Keep being wonderful you.
Coco/Sister Mack/Ke JieMei

PS this week we have sister exchanges and I get to go work in another area....yay adventures!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment